17.1 C
Nairobi
Monday, June 5, 2023
Home Celebrities CS MUTAHI KAGWE CONSIDERS LOCKDOWN AFTER CASES SPIKE

CS MUTAHI KAGWE CONSIDERS LOCKDOWN AFTER CASES SPIKE

Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe speaking during a presser outside Kenyatta National Hospital, April 2020.FILE

Health CS Mutahi Kagwe is said to be considering introducing new measures to mitigate the increase of Covid-19 Cases .
Sources close to CS Kagwe revealed that he has called for an urgent meeting of the National Emergency Response Committee to be held on Sunday, October 18 to brainstorm on how to curb the rising number of cases.The Health CS is expected to recommend some restrictions to President Uhuru Kenyatta who has always maintained that another lockdown is always on the table, should the situation deteriorate.

President Uhuru Kenyatta at the National Prayer Day at State House on October 10, 2020FILE

During his last speech on September 28, when he lifted the restrictions on gatherings, and clubs, the President put the onus on Kenyans that their civic duty would be tested to keep the spread of the virus down. That day, 53 people had tested positive and the country had a positivity rate of 4.4%

In the last week, 2,034 have tested positive, with Friday’s positivity rate increasing to 10%.

“I will not hesitate to escalate containment measures in the event any of these indicators register on my dashboard,” President Kenyatta had warned.

The increase in the number of cases has been attributed to reckless abandon with which Kenyans have resumed their daily activities.

Political gatherings which have been held without adherence to the safety guidelines have also contributed in the spread of the virus.

CS Kagwe is concerned that the spike in Covid-19 cases could plunge the country into an undesirable crisis even as the ministry allays fears of a second wave.

Acting Director-General of Health Patrick Amoth argues that the rising numbers cannot be equated to a second wave since the first phase of the virus has not been eliminated.

“Returning to stricter restrictions is definitely an option as was stated by President Kenyatta. The Ministry of Health has a duty to ensure that we are a healthy nation. Should we witness a surge, then that will be our final option for the good of the country,” Amoth stated during a Q&A session with members of the public on Wednesday, October 14.

Ministry of Health acting Director-General Dr. Patrick Amoth speaking to the media at Afya House.THE STANDARD

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Sweden To Host First European Sex Championships

This New Information Today Is That The Nation Of Sweden Has Adopted SEX As A Game But It Is Also The First Country In...

What Happened To R.Kelly Turned To Trey Songz

According to court documents obtained by @rollingstone, #TreySongz is at the center of a $10 million lawsuit. The lawsuit accuses Trey of sexual battery...

Kanye West (Ye) Sues By The Photographer

According to TMZ, Nichol Lechmanik is suing Ye for assault, battery, and negligence after Ye threw her phone in response to her recording him...

If They Deny Us Aid, We Will Discipline Our Expenditure

The President of Uganda, Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has said that if the Western Nations will deny them aid due to passing the anti-homosexuality law,...

Recent Comments

%d bloggers like this: